Friday, June 02, 2006

How To Read Scripture, Part 14

In Psalm 119:105 we read, “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” When this text was written there were no flashlights or lasers. People used simple lanterns to find their way in the dark. The analogy that Scripture uses here is quite significant. If I hold my lantern, it will cast a certain amount of light to allow me to see my way, but not all the way. As I step onto the safe ground revealed by the light, it advances the light and reveals the next step to me. New revelation only comes as I obey previous revelation. Many believers continue to stare at the same piece of property all their lives and never take that next step of faith. God reveals nothing new to some believers because they have failed to obey what has been revealed.

The Lord’s teaching on this is brought to light in many Scripture passages. In Acts 10, we have the vision of the sheet descending from heaven. Peter has no idea what this represents (Acts 10:17). In verse 20 he is instructed by the Holy Spirit to carry out a task without doubting. He obeys. The next thing we find out is “…but God hath shewed me...” (Acts 10:28). The Lord revealed the meaning of the vision. This is consistent throughout the sacred Scriptures. Joseph, Daniel, Paul, and others obeyed, feared the Lord, and were given understanding.

I am not talking here about receiving new revelation. The Scriptures are complete. Understanding them, however, is another matter. Obedience to what we do know yields greater understanding of what we need to know next. That's the way I see things.