Monday, June 05, 2006

How To Read Scripture, Part 15

Most theological systems contain some truth and some error. Many of these systems have been the brainchild of brilliant Bible scholars who have wanted to systematize the ways of God. It is dangerous to subscribe to a framework that defines God. He simply defies all efforts to be systematized or categorized. The Lord has a way of placing speed bumps throughout His Word that thwart all attempts to put Him into a box. The problem arises when we have a pre-existing reference point from which to operate, which forces interpretations of a text in an effort to fit the theological mold, often distorting the truth.

Several years ago, I went to hear the great theologian J. I. Packer. After one of his lectures, someone asked him how God could bless people who were incorrect theologically. I will never forget his wise reply. He looked over the audience and said, “I’m off theologically and God blesses me.” The audience was stunned at his reply. How could the great J. I. Packer be off? He then went onto say, “I just don’t know where. If I knew where, I would correct it. I couldn’t be perfect in my interpretation of all doctrinal issues.” What a wonderful, humble response.

There is a certain danger inherent within theological systems because they leave no room for mystery. They are rigid and must give answers to all difficulties. There is a subtle arrogance that surfaces, and we become excellent debaters who sling scriptural grenades back and forth as though we were at war with anyone who would dare to question our thinking. I don’t wish to be misinterpreted at this point by implying we can never drive a stake in the ground and say, “Thus saith the Lord.” I have very strong convictions about doctrine, but I leave room to listen to others whom God might use to sharpen my position or help me see a different perspective. Believe it or not, God blesses people who don’t agree with you or me, and He doesn’t bless us because of our knowledge but in spite of it. That’s what makes God gracious. That's the way I see things.