Friday, April 21, 2006

Vision Casting

"Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he." - Proverbs 29:18

The subject of vision is of great importance and the church must understand what God means by vision. Not only must we understand, but we must obey. Here are some of the key points regarding this biblical truth.

First and foremost is the fact that Scripture is strongly in opposition to vision casting when it proceeds from our own will. All vision casting in Scripture was first cast by God to an individual who then cast it before others. Let's take a look at God's vision for Abraham found in Genesis 12 where the Lord told Abraham that he would be the father of a great nation. When no child came, Abraham's wife, Sarah, decided to help God out and cast her own vision, "And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the Lord hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai" (Genesis 16:2). This vision was from the flesh. She had not heard from God, but made her own plans, which resulted in serious consequences.

So how do I know whether my vision is from God or my flesh? Vision stems from passion. When the Lord gives you a passion to advance His kingdom several things will be true.

1. The passion will not be for your glory but His.
2. You will be driven by His Spirit to carry it out.
3. It will be consistent with the big vision of Scripture and will never contradict Scripture.
4. It will require God's power.
5. You will not feel satisfied until it is fulfilled.
6. It will be about Him and not about you.

All of us are visionaries. Whenever I tell people that I'm not good at setting goals, it means that I am not good at the logistics. My vision is multifaceted. One of the visions God has given me is to help you find your passion for therein lies your vision. May the Lord empower you as you follow the dream He has placed in your heart to advance the kingdom. That's the way I see things.