Tuesday, June 06, 2006

How To Read Scripture, Part 16

Wisdom is such an important quality of life and Scripture puts a great premium on it. It is particularly special to me because I had a difficult time in the academic environment in which I was raised. School did not come easily to me, and I floundered from the day I entered the classroom until the day I graduated. Recently, a young man from our congregation politely asked me if I ever had a complex about being stupid. He phrased it differently than that, but I had no trouble reading between the lines. I told him I don’t ever recall having had a complex, but if I did it was quickly resolved when I understood the difference between being intelligent and being wise. Intelligence speaks of the inherent capability to grasp information and process it. Wisdom is a skill for living--it is seeing life from God’s perspective. I have known many intelligent fools in God’s eyes. The Scripture refers to those who profess themselves to be wise but are fools. These are intelligent people who reject the revelation of God. Not everyone has the mental capability of being intellectual, their I.Q. may be limited. However, all believers have the capacity to become wise because the Holy Spirit illuminates our minds. “But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned” (I Corinthians 2:14).

The Scriptures exhort us to search for wisdom as we would a hidden treasure. First, this implies that the Lord considers wisdom as greater than gold or silver: “Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold” (Proverbs 3:13-14). Second, the Word shows that wisdom is not easily found. We must “prospect” for it. Third, it demonstrates that what is valuable does not lie conspicuously on the surface but must be unearthed. Value is usually based on the availability of an item. The less available, the greater the value. This is why wisdom is so valuable and why so few people possess it, for we live in a day when intelligence and human wisdom are highly desired. Parents drive their children to excel in academics, which is not wrong, but may very well be out of balance if wisdom is not sought with equal fervor.

How do we search for wisdom? Diamonds and gold must be mined, and they are usually found in places that are not as accessible as jewels of lesser value. This is where careful study and meditation pay great dividends to uncover the precious nuggets in the Scriptures. Prospecting for wisdom means spending time in the Word. That’s the way I see things.