Monday, June 12, 2006

How To Read Scripture, Part 20

Through the years it has become very helpful to me to take a biblical truth and put it into my own words. This forces me to think through an issue in a precise and relevant fashion. The Scriptures reveal to us the purpose of the law. If I take the time to examine several verses regarding the law--“Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ that we might be justified by faith” (Galatians 3:24) or “Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin” (Romans 3:20) or “Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law” (Romans 3:28), I can put some definition to the overall truth regarding the law. I have distilled the subject of the law to this singular definition: The law states where I should be but condemns my every attempt to get there. This succinct definition will help me explain the purpose of the law to others, particularly the lost.

Another example of putting truths into my own words is in Paul’s writings on contentment. Paul in several Scriptures addresses the issue of contentment. In Philippians he tells us, “Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need” (Philippians 4:11-12). In I Timothy 6:5-6, he is even more definitive in his exhortation: “Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself. But godliness with contentment is great gain.” My own definition of contentment is coming to a place in my life where I desire nothing, as opposed to coming to a place where I have everything. We can do this with most any subject of Scripture. From Deuteronomy 8, I have learned that material possessions are not wrong, but if they cause me to forget God, they become wrong. Therefore, materialism is enjoying the pleasures of this life independent of glorifying God. Having looked at the life of Jesus, I conclude that leadership is that quality of life which by its very example encourages others to follow.

Our definitions need not be profound, but should be basic expressions of major truths that help us see the big picture in a simple way. That's the way I see things.