Thursday, April 27, 2006

Trials

In my 34 years as a believer, I have seen many different responses to pain and suffering. Needless to say, I will not go too deeply into this mysterious subject, but I desire to take a slice from my own pilgrimage and that of others which just might help you through your present trial.

Trials, pain, suffering, difficulties, living in a fallen world, or what ever label you want to give it does one of two things to people. They either get bitter and mad at God or they are drawn closer to Him because they know there is no other source of grace and strength to make it through. Hebrews 11:6 tell us, "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." How much faith is required to live with a perfect wife, children who never get in trouble, excellent health, barring a hangnail once every ten years, $2 million in the bank, and a job you love? Faith is based on trusting God when the world has hemmed you in. It pleases God for us to tell Him that we know He has our best in mind. I Thessalonians 5:18 tells us, "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."

Difficulties can also reveal much about our character. How we react or respond under the pressures of life will often expose what our hearts are really like. Jesus said that out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. It is equally true that out of its abundance it also acts. When that quiet, pleasant boss goes into a rage after a contract is lost, it tells you that anger lurks within his soul that will only be seen during times of pressure.

The Lord has put me under much pressure which has exposed more of my heart than I wish to know about. I thank Him for it and must by faith accept it as from His hand. For this is the only way we can please God. That's the way I see things.