Monday, May 01, 2006

Doubts

As I read Scripture I never cease to be amazed at how the Lord subtly reveals His heart to us. In the early stages of my Christian life I had many doubts about if I had the truth, since so many other religions claimed with equal exclusivity, that they had the truth. What used to rock my boat the most was when I would hear about some cult member who had an amazing answer to prayer. The fiery darts of doubt from the enemy would break into my mind and say, "See, others claim they have the truth and equally amazing things happen to them. Are you sure Christianity is the truth? These other groups also use the Bible, so who are you to claim you have the truth?"

Through many years of study, meditation, and teaching, I have total confidence in God's Word and the truth of His gospel. But what about these issues that have been raised? In Deuteronomy 12:29 – 13:4 the Lord warns Israel to not even inquire about other gods, even if their followers have amazing things happen. He tells us that great wonders may occur so that we will be tested to trust in the one true God. When we inquire we are in danger of falling from the faith and being ensnared by false doctrine.

I realized many years ago that thousands upon thousands of people have come to a saving knowledge of Christ by just reading the Scriptures. They were never told what to believe nor were thy indoctrinated into a system of belief but were led by the Holy Spirit to discover the basic truths of the faith. This cannot be said of any cult or false religion. No one reading the Bible would arrive at the doctrines of Mormonism. They must be carefully led into a certain way of thinking. There is a literal brainwashing that takes place because there is no Spirit of God to reveal the truth of Scripture.

I hope this is a help to any of you who have wrestled with this issue. Stay in the Word and allow the Holy Spirit to guide you into all truth. That's the way I see things.